Restoration part 8 – indoors

The cottage originally had the classic 3 room layout. No heating, only a Stanley stove which originally would have been a wide open fire. The chimney breast was massive taking up 1/10th of the floor space.

Floors were concrete but we found were completely unlevel. Turned out that the entire cottage was unlevel, one end 3ft higher than the other. We levelled it by digging out the higher floor, alot of work done by hand. The cottage was built on a field without foundations or levels.

Access to the new loft rooms upstairs was also a problem that had to be solved. We did not want to take up alot of floor space with a stairs, we decided on a steel spiral staircase, custom made.

Spiral staircase
Kitchen
Loft room upstairs
Deep windows
Insulation
Inside the eyebrow windows
Pre insulation
New chimney breast
Upstairs window on gable
Stanley range
Main bedroom

Restoration part 7 – a proud man

After almost one year the house is ready outside. Half door installed. Still a mountain to do indoors. My father Ray was in his 60s at this stage there’s not many who could do this type of work each day. The project is taking longer than expected, it’s evolving and growing each week. He loves work, it’s as much about the journey and the destination

After almost one year the house is ready outside. Half door installed. Still a mountain to do indoors.

My father Ray was in his 60s at this stage there’s not many who could do this type of work each day.

Restoration part 4 – new roof

June 2005. Preparing for the new thatch.

New wall plate, all new timber, marine plywood.

Interesting to find that both ends of the cottage are both different heights and different widths. Each A-frame had to be built with its own measurements 😉

New barges
Marine ply

We chose eyebrow windows. Not conventional. These cottages are very dark inside and almost always single story.

We chose to build 2 loft rooms upstairs. We decided on eyebrow windows to gain the light. Skylights were not recommended.

The renovation is now growing legs. Eyebrow windows are tricky and not cheap.

Eyebrow windows
New roof is watertight

Renovation part 1

Easter 2005. This is what the cottage looked like in Easter 2005.
Sometime in the 60s or 70s thatched cottage owners in Ireland were given a grant to make the house water tight, of course the obvious thing to do would be to cover the thatch with galvanize sheets. Hard to believe. There was no thought given to heritage back then, we’re probably lucky that it was no knocked.

My two granduncles Tom and Dan Fallon would have been living in the cottage when the galvanise sheet work was done. Both uncles had died in the 1990s.

In 2005 we decided to re-thatch, we did not know what we were getting into…..

Easter 2005, the renovation begins

Thanks to my sister Niamh for taking the initiative to photo some of the journey, without her some of the memories would be lost.

More photos to come.

https://www.ballyglassthatchedcottage.com/